Monday, June 8, 2020

Pacific Crossing Day 7 - 8th June 2020

Position 1800 UTC - 8th June 2020
- 05 degrees, 05 minutes South
- 108 degrees, 10 minutes West
Sailing on port tack with wind at 120 degrees apparent
Sea State: wind chop on top of 2m swell
Wind: 15 knots from South East
Speed over the ground: 6.4 knots
Course over the ground: 265 degrees
Distance sailed towards north Marquesas in 24 hours 158

'It's like being on holiday'- that's what Mariska and I agreed chatting on the SSB radio this morning. I had just made freshly squeezed orange juice, had a warm banana bread fresh from the oven and the coffee beans had been ground ready for our morning snack - when asked my plans for the day it was to enjoy my book.... The conditions are the calmest we had and there wasn't a cloud in the sky this morning. What an absolute treat! I suspect the world is still going crazy out there so I am feeling so privileged to enjoy this time out here without internet access and just the few messages from family and friends, that make our day.

Having said that I do find there's not enough hours in the day and the days are starting to pass too quickly. We have caught two more fish today - that takes some time to sort them out. We have also been working through a few things to make life easier when the wind and seas pick up again. We have re-run the lines on our spinnaker pole and removed our inner forestay to it's stowage position (as the genoa was catching it and it's only there for our storm gib), we've added some additional chafe protection and removed an annoying tapping noise under the table - with a 'technical' solution using duct tape. I actually haven't had time to pick up my book yet.

We had wonderful mahi-mahi ceviche for lunch. The fridge is pretty loaded with fish now and the veg supplies are still going really well. Last night we had mahi-mahi cooked in butter with truffle mash and green beans - it could have come straight from a French restaurant (if I do say so myself) I'm certainly not loosing as much weight as I had hoped for on this trip! Food is too important out here - little snacks allow us to meet in the cockpit for a few mins and chat - as we both have our own regular jobs everyday and different sleep patterns to maintain the watch we would otherwise hardly see each other - how bizarre!

That's all from us out here in the big blue.

----------
Sent via SailMail, http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment