Friday, May 27, 2016

Poole to Guernsey

We spent 2 great nights at the most expensive marina yet on Poole Town Quay, moored next to a 120ft 3 story motor yacht that totally obscured our view. We took the opportunity to explore the town, get a few provisions in, buy a few more presents for Askari and enjoy the pubs of Poole.

It was great being right in town to get a few jobs done but we were keen to get out into the harbour, so we took a mooring off Brownsea Island and had a fabulous day walking and hunting for Red Squirrels.

Brownsea Island was the place where Robert Baden Powell held his first experimental scout camp in 1907; Andrew having been a keen scout was really interested to read all about it.

Andrew at the site of first scout camp

View of Poole Harbour from Brownsea Island

Cream Tea on Brownsea Island
Yay, we found a Red Squirrel 
Always good when the tender is still there when you get back
We spot an Austal built ferry in Poole (it has been stalking us since)
Lovely night out in Poole Harbour
First lasagne on board - with a little tribute to South Fremantle's Lilly Street Lasagne Bake off
Next morning we left at 5.20am to cross the English Channel, we had been cleared out of the UK the day before by customs so we could export Askari and get all the paperwork right for VAT purposes. The day started so very cold but the wind was in the perfect direction and strength (NE 3/4), so we pulled the sails out at 6am and furled them away some 80 nms and 11 hours later as we approached St Peter Port. It was a great sail and the weather improved before deteriorating terribly just after we arrived and then poured it down with rain all night - we were so lucky. We had great visability for crossing the shipping lanes and did not have to alter course once, carefully monitoring the ships on AIS; a first for us.

Selfie in the Alderney Race
The Alderney Race can run at about 7 or 8 knots so it's very important that you arrive just at the right time. Andrew had the navigation spot on and we arrived perfectly in accordance with plan. We could see about 10 other yachts waiting to round Cap de la Hague for the conveyor belt heading south. We all raced together down to St Peter Port.

Our route to Guernsey 
We tied up in St Peter Port and went out in the rain for a fabulous dinner of Turbot at a beautiful restaurant on the quay to celebrate our first 'overseas' trip in over 12 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment